Rosie Perez

Rosie Perez was born in Bushwick, Brooklyn, New York City, to Lydia Perez and Ismael Serrano who was a merchant marine. She is Puerto Rican. Rosie has graduated from Grover Cleveland High School in Ridgewood in Queens, New York. Later, she enrolled at Los Angeles City College. Rosie Perez was just starting her second year in college and about to return to New York. She was invited to a leaving party by her friends. Spike Lee offered her a role in his 1989 film Do the Right Thing (1989). She said yes. This was her first major acting gig. She was then nominated for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her role in Carla Rodrigo (Peter Weir’s Fearless, 1993). (She was defeated by Anna Paquin for The Piano (1993).) In the early years of my career the Latin community was responsible for the majority of the criticism I was subjected to. I can remember being taken out for lunch and saying to me "Can you take lessons to help you tone down your accent?" Or "Can you be funny and loud when you're on a talk-show?" My voice was a constant critic. I tried to improve it. I tried to improve my voice however, it was just the way I spoke. As I got older, my octaves slowed down, thank God. Boxing is all about fighting your fears. It's about fighting your own. Floyd Mayweather could get punched - like clean shot down the middle of his face - and he'd not even flinch. And I know what he is doing. Who talked about Don Cornelius watching her dancein the dance]: Don Cornelius did not want to know how I performed - I was dancing hip-hop, which was new to people in California. They didn't know anything about hip-hop dancing and only were aware of locking and popping. Don was thinking, "No, no, no. You're an attractive girl. I was like, "What? It's very bizarre. Then I had to perform in high-heeled shoes. I've hadn't danced in heels before, and I had this little tiny short dress, and it's getting up my thigh and I'm like, Oh my God



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amanda Lamb personal life

Summer Bishil Bio

Paget Valerie Brewster